Thursday, April 19, 2007

"The Structure of Man" It begins.

This is my very first human figure I have drawn in over 10 years, I had tried hard in high school to make the magic happen and had a few false starts 5 or 6 years ago but since then, nada, all my stuff was either side on or front on and very, VERY average, if I had shown those drawings to children they would have laughed, oh yes, thay would have laughed.

I had once again taken an interest in art the couple of months before i started this first drawing because of another art site, they had free lessons in pdf form but they all mainly focused on drawing from life, shading, cartoony faces and such, "plegh!" I thought and then stumbled accross a link in an art critique forum which had online videos that touted that it can teach you to draw, expertly I might add. I had a quick look, then lost interest because the work I was looking at was way out of my league (ironically the site that said it could teach you to draw from nothing had the hardest lessons at the top of the page) but after a couple of weeks of monotinous "shading and cartooning" from pdf lessons on the other site I came back to it and noticed the first lesson was WELL withing my comfort zone, so I thought, "fuck it" and picked up a pencil.

The man that does these tutorials is called Riven Phoenix, and tapes everything he does on his pad so I was able to follow along which really made it easy to follow. I was a bit skeptical of this first couple of lessons but I played along. Here is my first result, I admittedly found it hard not to laugh at my own ineptitude at this point but hey, whats 20 mins, I had seen the end product material on his site and, well, if this guy is comfortable with making stick figure "inventions" thats fine with me, he must know what hes talking about.... right?


Note the date, I started this on the 13th of Febuary, lets see how long it takes me to become a pro ;)

No comments: