Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lesson 30-37 The spine, ribcage and sacram.

OOOkay. I'm taking a bit of a leap here because I found that a few of these lessons built up on each other, ie. the previous lesson's work was used as a foundation for further work. This was a good thing otherwise I would have been fiddling around with ribs and spine and all sorts would have been getting in the way of the real learning.

Just a quick side note, it is at about this point that I stopped watching the videos online and could start watching my own set of videos that I had ordered online, the price I figured was meagre for the value it would add in other areas, but there was a snag during the switch over, firstly the DVDs were late, and second the online videos had been pulled due to an advertising campaign. I understood the reasoning and it was stated the videos would only be online as an introduction, I was just unlucky it seemed. In the mean time, while I waited Riven was nice enough to let me view some of the videos to tide me over until I got my set, thanks again Riven! In the mean time I spent a whole two weeks eking by one or two drawings every 3-4 days while I waited.

Anyway back to the drawing, the spine was pretty simple stuff, 7 segments from head to base of neck, 12 for the ribcage and 5 down to the sacrum. And I quite enjoyed it, the tougher bit though was the ribcage, there were 12 of the fuckers I had to measure up properly otherwise it would look crap so it took alot of effort and as you can see by all the line drawing but naturally this would take a long time if you're stepping your way through it but I got there in the end, by the end of it all it was starting to flow much better and you tended not to think about the little mistakes because honestly, they're only ribs :) as long as I stuck to the outline that I know by heart you couldn't really go wrong.

The sacrum however was a different creature altogether, this sucker had to be carefully measured up using the formulas Riven gave. Also special consideration for the spine's width at certain points had to be adhered to so it sometimes looked closer or further away, important stuff that, otherwise it looked...... weird, from the back or front it was important to always be mindful of that. See what you guys think, unfortunately there are no progressive sketches since they all naturally built on each other and I never stopped halfway through :) When I finally looked at the milestone (Note: Riven does milestone lessonsevery 10 or so lessons which is essentially a recap of previous lessons to bring all the new elements learned together with the rest of the skeleton) I was really stoked, the ribs were looking awesome, my sacrams weren't looking too gay and the spine was coming out reasonably well, The milestone is the last picture.




THIS is the milestone, awesome aint it? :D (you can tell I'm proud)

No comments: