Friday, April 20, 2007

Lesson 47: O_O Is my pencil dancing on the page??!!?

Lesson 47 deserves a special mention all it's own. Lesson 47 blew me away. Riven introduced a way way of approaching drawing, and that was not drawing while listening to music but more drawing in the moment, taking the stimulus from your ears and drawing like you're singing, using the external stimulus to drive the pencil in your hand. I could not compliment Riven enough for doing this lesson. So instead a simple thank you will have to do. Thanks Riven :).

I wouldn't say the technique is groundbreaking by any means but the choice of a high energy catchy song and simply focusing on a small portion of the skeleton done so far (so as to not drag it out) really hit the spot (besides it is always good to take a break and consolidate what had been learned over the last 10 odd lessons). It took what was becoming a little monotonous and repetitive and injected new vigour into it :). After drawing the main torso of the skeleton so many times already, it was really good to push the envelope and enter a speed sketching mode.

I watched this video several times and was sketching on par with Riven in no time with the same degree of quality, on average I could speed sketch the front, side and back in a little over 5 minutes. 5 minutes to sketch all that, :D I was grinning eagerly for days after that. Often my fingers were itching to just put pencil to paper for no reason that because I could. hehe.

Here's a sample of one of my speed sketches, most others I did have been drawn over or lost.

No comments: